- Fiorentina were extremely unlucky not to have been awarded a penalty on just three minutes when Mohamed Elnenny clearly handled in the penalty area.
- The opening goal went to the viola after Borja Valero played in an unmarked Bernardeschi; in acres of space, who finished with a smart angled side foot shot.
- Just minutes later, Fiorentina were down to ten men when Facundo Roncaglia was sent off for lashing out with a wild elbow on Breel Embolo
- Home grown number ten Bernardeschi made it two from close range on 35' after some crisp passing movement from the viola
- Basel closed the gap just before half time. Luigi Sepe pulled off a fantastic save from an Embolo header but Marek Suchý scored with the rebound. Replays showed that Embolo was actually offside but the goal still counted.
- Basel captain Suchý tangled with Nikola Kalinic on numerous occasions in what was an intense physical battle
- Basel evened the scores with just over 15 minutes to go through Elnenny and ten man viola had to settle for a point.
- After going down to ten men so early on, the viola showed great character to secure a draw away from home.
- A point at home to Belenenses will now see Fiorentina advance to the next stage of the competition.
Basel (4-1-4-1): Vailati; Xhaka, Suchý (c), Lang, Safari; Elnenny; Embolo, Zuffi, Bjarnason, Boëtius; Janko
Fiorentina (3-4-2-1): Sepe; Roncaglia, Gonzalo (c), Astori; Bernardeschi (Gilberto 84'), Vecino, Badelj (Babacar 84'), Alonso; Ilicic (Tomovic 32'), Valero; Kalinic
We will be back later for some more detailed analysis of the match, let us know what you thought in the comments section below.