Match Day 5 in European Competition
It's coming down to the wire in the Group Stages of the Champion's League and Europa League. Here's a look at where we stand.
The Champions League Standings
FC Porto with 10 points, Paris St Germain 9, Dynamo Kiev 4, Dinamo Zagreb 0.
Porto have qualified for the Knock Out round, PSG will qualify with at least a tie on Wednesday. Dynamo Kiev needs to win their last two (one against PSG) and hope Porto beat PSG to advance. PSG hosts Porto on the last Match Day and that could decide the group winner.
Schalke 04 with 8 points, Arsenal 7, Olympiakos 6, Montpellier 1.
Only Montpellier have been eliminated in this group. Schalke hold the tiebreaker on Arsenal and won the first match at Olympiakos 2-1, so the group is theirs to win.
Malaga with 10 points, AC Milan 5, Anderlecht 4, Zenit St Petersberg 3.
Malaga advance and win the group with a tie in either of their last two matches. Milan are even with Anderlecht and hold a slender lead with Zenit in the tiebreakers for the second spot.
Borussia Dortmund with 8 points, Real Madrid 7, Ajax Amsterdam 4, Manchester City 2.
Dortmund can advance with a tie in either of their last matches and hold the tiebreaker against Real Madrid. Real can advance this week with a win or tie at Man City and an Ajax loss.
Chelsea with 7 points, Shakhtar Donetsk 7, Juventus 6, FC Nordsjælland 1.
No one has been eliminated. Chelsea and Shakhtar would have to go to the 4th tiebreaker, away goals, should they wind up tied. Shakhtar would win that tiebreaker. Juve is dead even with both of the other squads, but has a match against both still to go.
Bayern Munich with 9 points, Valencia 9, BATE Borisov 6, Lille 0.
BM and Valencia will qualify with a win or tie and a Borisov loss. BM hold the tiebreaker with Valencia, having beaten them 2-1 first game day. Borisov still have a chance to advance with a win or a tie.
Barcelona with 9 points, Celtic 7, Benfica 4, Spartak Moscow 3.
Barcelona advance with a tie. Celtic can advance if they can win or tie at Benfica this week, provided that the tie is greater than a scoreless tie. (ie: 1-1, 2-2, etc)
Manchester United with 12 points, Galatasaray 4, CFR Cluj-Napoca 4, Braga 3.
Man U has already cemented first place in the group. Galatasaray holds the tie breaker against Cluj, Braga holds tie breakers against both of the other two squads and plays them both.
Juve host Chelsea with it all on the line and destiny in their hands.
- Juventus v Chelsea
- FC Nordsjælland v Shakhtar Donetsk(Ukr)
- BATE Borisov v Lille(Fra)
- Valencia v Bayern Munich(Ger)
- Spartak Moscow v Barcelona
- Benfica(Portl) v Celtic
- CFR Cluj-Napoca v Braga(Port)
- Galatasaray v Manchester United
AC Milan need at least a tie at Anderlecht this week, but a win would be so much better.
- Dynamo Kiev(Ukr) v Paris St Germain(Fra)
- FC Porto(Port) v Dinamo Zagreb
- Arsenal v Montpellier(Fra)
- Schalke 04(Ger) v Olympiakos
- Zenit St Petersberg v Malaga
- Anderlecht v AC Milan
- Ajax Amsterdam v Borussia Dortmund(Ger)
- Manchester City v Real Madrid
The Europa League
This is where Italy is really messing up the co-efficient. Udinese is in last place in their group and yet, with a win the last two match days could advance. The other Italian teams are doing fairly well, Lazio leading their group, Inter tied for first and Napoli in second, but everyone really needs to win to keep it going.
Udinese travel to first place Anzhi in what has to be a must win, Napoli travel to last place AIK, Inter face off with the other squad in first palce and could really cement their place while Lazio have the marquee match up against second place Spurs.
Thursday's Italian Matches
- Anzhi Makhachkala v Udinese
- AIK v Napoli
- FK Rubin Kazan v Inter
- Lazio v Tottenham Hotspur
Other Matches (that apply to the co-efficient)
- Académica de Coimbra(Port) v Viktoria Plzen
- Borussia Monchengladbach(Ger) v AEL
- Marseille(Fra) v Fenerbahce
- Club Brugge v Bordeaux(Fra)
- Newcastle United v Maritimo(Port)
- Steaua Bucuresti v VfB Stuttgart(Ger)
- FC Basel v Sporting Lisbon(Port)
- Sparta Prague v Lyon(Fra)
- PSV Eindhoven v Dnipro(Ukr)
- FC Metalist Kharkiv(Ukr) v Bayer Leverkusen(Ger)
- Hannover 96(Ger) v Twente Enschede